venerdì 1 maggio 2009

An e-tool a day keeps the doctor away...


This CONCISE reflecting blogging post aims to explain the features and potentialities of Google Docs.



In our last lab lesson we learnt something more about Google Docs, an online tool that enables people to share documents and collaborate using the Internet. One of the main advantages of this relatively new online resource is that people can have access to their files anywhere and anytime, provided they have an Internet connection. Working with Google Docs means simplify your work, especially if you cooperate with other people. Saving your documents, spreadsheets,and presentations on Google Docs makes you free to make changes to what you wrote while having the possibility to go back to previous versions you edited. As a matter of fact, like in Wiki pages, a section called "history" is always available. Unlike a wiki page, this web-based word processor is a close system. This means that in order to share files you must be invited from someone. This, of course, protects both the privacy and the data safety. It is clear that we do not want certain documents to be read - and maybe stolen - by anyone. Another difference between Google Docs and Wiki pages, is that with the former more than one people at a time can edit the same page and this is a great advantage!


During the second part of the lesson we tried to practice both with Google Docs and with APA style. We edited a file written by Professor Sarah Guth and Professor Francesca Helm and tried to improve the style of the references they used. Though this was not an easy task (also because of some problems with the access to the shared file "E-tivity 7" and with difficult kinds of sources to reference), Elena, Francesca and I managed to edit the works cited respecting the APA conventions for referencing. We noticed that the most difficult sources to list in the "Works Cited" section were web pages and the transcript of interviews pubished on-line, while books are relatively simple to referecing, provided you take care of punctuation, capital letters, italics and spacing... and all the rest ;-)



We noticed that Google Docs is not like Word, since it has less options and functionalities, but it is quite easy to use. All things considered, I think that this new tool could be useful when I have to work in group or when I have to discuss a Power Point presentation in different places. Since there is no more need of pen sticks and bulky attachments to store or share our files, I believe that more and more people will take advantage of this free word processor. It might have been extremely useful at the end of last semester, when I had to work together with some peers of mine to prepare our final Power Point presentation. Unfortunatly, we did not know that Google Docs existed and could also be used for free!

3 commenti:

  1. Hi Francy,
    I agree with you on the fact that if we had known before about the existence of Google Docs, we would have spared time on preparing our PowerPoints presentatin in the 1st semester. Anyway, everytime we have lesson, we learn something. This is an important thing to emphasize! As far as Google Docs is concerned, I'm sure I'll use it more often, as I can write something that once saved it will be always available for me but also for other people I ask to join Google Docs. For example, If I need an opinion on what I'm writing, I can simply asks some peers of Google Docs to have a look and to make some comments on something I wrote. A useful tool!isn't it?=).
    As far as your language is concerned, here are some suggestions:
    _"We noticed that the most difficult sources to list in the "Woks Cited" section are web pages and..": here you can keep on using the past simple, i.e : "was web pages and";
    _" We noticed that Google Docs is not like Word, since it has less options and functionalities..": this sentence is ok, you could use "as" instead of "since";
    _ " bulky attachments": it is ok, you could also say "large attachments";
    _" I believe that more and more people will take advantage of this free word processor": it is ok. You could also say: "to derive benefit from".

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Francesca,
    I've just read your post and I think it's really well-structured. I agree with you when you say that Google docs is a tool which facilitates the working and the collaboration on a document. Thanks to technology many things are made easier to use and convenient also in sparing time and efforts.
    As ragards our linguistic feedback, I noticed some things:
    - On the title you wrote "A e-tool"; just add an N on the indefinite article and it will be all right;) I think it was an error of typing;
    - I would replace "major" with MAIN;
    - "per volta" is "AT A TIME" and not "at time";
    - "WoRks Cited";
    - "to take advantage of" means "approffittare di" and so the term is not suitable; I would replace it with: "to take the opportunity to use".
    I think that's all,
    See you soon

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi all,

    many thanks for your comments! I changed my posts according to your corrections, but I am not so sure about how to use "to take advantage of". I think that in the context it is correct... can you help me to sort this out?

    I am happy to see that you find Google Docs a useful tool, too.

    See you soon,
    Bye

    RispondiElimina